Can my divorce attorney help me with the tax implications of divorce?

Or do I need to hire another expert to help me with it?

New York, NY -

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - New York, NY

It depends completely upon the complexity of the tax implications. If you are wondering about things like the whether you should alternate years for claiming children as dependents and/or if you pay your former spouse's health insurance premium can you deduct it as "spousal support", your divorce attorney can probably help you with those issues. If you need to know the tax implications of dividing business assets, retirement plans, and complex investments, it would be foolish to expect anyone other than a skilled tax professional to give you the best advice. If you already have an attorney helping you with your divorce, ask them if you need a referral to a tax professional--if it hasn't come up yet, you probably don't, but check just in case. If you don't have an attorney yet, you can search among the attorney profiles here on AVVO to find someone, and then go from there. Good luck!

Howard A. Schwartz

Howard A. Schwartz

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Brooklyn, NY

You should certainly speak to an accountant I'm conjunction with your attorney. Make sure you feel comfortable with your level of understanding as to all issues. Good luck.

Anthony Peter Vigna

Anthony Peter Vigna

Lawyer - Thornwood, NY

The question does not indicate the tax knowledge of the divorce attorney. I would suggest seeking the advice of a certified public accountant that practices in the area of taxation or a tax attorney.

Adelola Sheralynn Dow

Adelola Sheralynn Dow

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Staten Island, NY

While your Divorce Lawyer should be able to answer certain basic tax questions as they relate to matrimonial law, unless your attorney is also a licensed accountant, you should always consult an accountant for concrete answers regaridng your particular financial situation.

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Bellmore, NY

Some can -- Some can't. I personally think you are better off, hiring a tax specialist which may or may not be an attorney.

Kenneth Alan Eiges

Kenneth Alan Eiges

Your attorney should know the tax issues involved in a matrimonial case. For example maintenance is tax deductible for the payor and income to the payee. Distribution of assets are more complicated. After your attorney advises you of the tax issues which may affect you, your attorney should refer you over to an accountant or tax attorney familiar with taxation and Divorce issues.

Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

Tax Lawyer - Long Beach, CA

You need a tax attorney or good CPA expert. Appreciated, but yet taxed assets are a major problem at divorce. Taking half of the assets by the terms of their current market value may not reflect the tax load from appreciation. Different assets are taxed differently. That is just one reason to have an expert.

Henry Daniel Lively

Henry Daniel Lively

Tax Lawyer - Costa Mesa, CA

This is a tough question without more facts. It is unclear if your divorce attorney is competent in the area of taxation. You should discuss this with him or her and ask them if they feel comfortable with the tax issues of your case, or should you hire a tax attorney to cover those areas.