Can my daughters father sign his rights over without my concent? I live in Tennessee if that matters. Please help...

My daughter is 3 years old and her father has never been in her life. He has only saw her one time and he has never paid a penny of child support or helped her in any way at all. He is on drugs is why if that matters. But we have court in a few days and he just sent me a message saying he is just going to sign his rights over so he dont go to jail and so he dont have to help. His words not mine. But i am just curious as to if he can do this without my permission, I am just concerned for how it will make my daughter feel when she gets older and understands what happens a little more. Please help cause this has been weighing very heavy on my heart, I feel so bad for my daughter. And can he really just take the easy way out and sign them over and not be responsible for her anymore?

Kingsport, TN -

Attorney Answers (2)

Jennifer Lynn Honeycutt

Jennifer Lynn Honeycutt

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Franklin, TN

Surrendering your parental rights to a child takes a little more than just signing a piece of paper. Rarely will a court allow a surrender to occur just so an individual can avoid child support, which, based upon the information you have presented appears to be the case. However, in answer to your direct question, if a parent wants to surrender their parental rights, they do not necessarily have to have the permission of the other parent. Based upon the information that you have provided here, it appears that you have quite a bit going on and it would be in your best interest to at least set up a consult with an attorney in your area so that you have a better understanding of what is going on with your case.

This communication does not create an attorney/client relationship. My answers are intended for educational... more
Shannon Michelle Holland

Shannon Michelle Holland

Child Custody Lawyer - Knoxville, TN

The dream of every deadbeat dad. Guess what: He can't do it.

You are best served by hiring any attorney for your legal matter, and for advice and representation that is... more

Related Topics

Mother's rights in child custody

Mother's rights covers the parental rights of the mother. These rights primarily relate to child custody, visitation, and child support.

Featured Legal Guides

Wendy J. Norman

Mothers’ Rights

by attorney

A mother has certain legal rights pertaining to her children. When a mother needs legal assistance with child custody, support, visitation or... more

Father's rights in child custody

Father's rights refers to the parental rights of the father, primarily child custody and visitation rights. Fathers sometimes also need to establish paternity.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.