Can my daughter sue her insurance for personal injuries?

Atlanta, GA |

My daughter was the passenger and her husband lost control of the car and hit a tree. She had injuries to her arm and chest.

she needs to contact a GA lawyer that does injury cases. the best source is word of mouth, the GA trial lawyers association or the local county bar association. billboards/telephone book ads are not always the best source. i don't know GA law but in some states there is immunity for cases of negligence against a spouse. each state has different laws. good luck!

Terrance is correct. It really depends on a number of factors. I am happy to speak with you and give you my analysis. Jim Roth

Make sure that she does not talk to the insurer. It is very important that she see a lawyer ASAP. She may be able to pursue her medical injuries, plus pain and suffering. Passengers gneerally can pursue the driver's policy.

I'd be glad to set a free consultation to review her case. Feel free to have her call me at 404-768-3509.

Liability coverage applies if you can sue someone who was at fault and they are covered by insurance. Georgia has spousal immunity so she could not sue her husband. Moreover, the insurance policy likely includes a clause that would prevent her from collecting under the policy in a claim against a family member who is covered by the policy even if there were not spousal immunity.

If they purchased medical payments (medpay) coverage as part of the auto insurance policy, she could use that to get medical bills paid. Medpay is purely optional coverage. I hope they have it.

She should get a lawyer to review their insurance policy.

She may have a case depending on the type of insurance carried at the
time. Please have her call my office to discuss.

Aaron Marks
Aaron Marks, Esq.
The Marks Law Group, LLC
103 W. Dearborn Circle
Decatur, GA 30030
404-939-1485 (ph)
404-581-5902 (fx)

-- ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED; DO NOT FORWARD OR DISCLOSE WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION. Communications from attorneys and their employees are confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed without the sender's express permission. There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege, that may attach to this communication. Further, anything you believe to be tax advice in this communication, including attachments, cannot be used to avoid penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, nor does it promote, market, or recommend any transaction or tax-related matter. The Marks Law Group does not give tax advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury