Can my daughter get a US passport before her naturalization certificate?

City Of Industry, CA |

I am waiting for my Oath Ceremony ( for citizenship) next month. My Daughter is 8 years old and she's a a Permanent precedent for last 5 years. Can she apply for her passport with me once I'm a citizen before getting her naturalization certificate?

Either a US Passport and/or Citizenship Certificate can be proof of citizenship. It is not necessary to get the certificate. If you have all the proper documents to get her a US Passport (see link), then that makes more sense only because she can actually use the passport whereas the certificate is a nice piece of paper. If money is an issue or if you do not have all the documents necessary for the passport, may want to go with the certificate (if money is an issue, this way because you can request a fee waiver).

Thank you for the information. Can you also please explain me about the request a free waiver. How does that works and what I should do.

Kara Lien Roberts

Kara Lien Roberts

If you are not currently receiving a federal means-tested public benefit (like food stamps, subsidized housing, SSI, etc.), then it can be pretty difficult to get the fee waiver depending on your circumstances. Look at the information and instructions here: A fee waiver request is for applicants who are indigent/low income. If you have no proof to support the request or the proof is insufficient, it will be denied.

Recommended articles about Immigration