Skip to main content

Can my daughter get a US passport before her naturalization certificate?

City Of Industry, CA |

I am waiting for my Oath Ceremony ( for citizenship) next month. My Daughter is 8 years old and she's a a Permanent precedent for last 5 years. Can she apply for her passport with me once I'm a citizen before getting her naturalization certificate?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Either a US Passport and/or Citizenship Certificate can be proof of citizenship. It is not necessary to get the certificate. If you have all the proper documents to get her a US Passport (see link), then that makes more sense only because she can actually use the passport whereas the certificate is a nice piece of paper. If money is an issue or if you do not have all the documents necessary for the passport, may want to go with the certificate (if money is an issue, this way because you can request a fee waiver).

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics