Can my daughter ask to live with me when she turns 14? She lives with us 50/50 now and begs me to let her live with me.

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

She also has a 10 year old sister. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Dave Hawkins


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sure she can ask but in order to change the PP you would have to either file an agreed modification of teh PP or a Petition to modfy. In Wa. , a child may never choose where he/she wants to live-- that decisioin is left to the sound discretion of the court and the parents -- kids don't get to call the shots.

    Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This... more
  2. Bruce Clement


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Custody issues are never resolved only because of a child's wishes. However, you should interview a good family law attorney about the details to see if you have sufficient grounds to petition for a modification of the parenting plan. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on modifications for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now