Can my dad Discharge in Bankruptcy money he owes for his ex-wife's attorney's fees? Fees were awarded in a Family Court Order

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

Hi, so my dad's went through a divorce in 2009 where he got custody of all the children because my step mom was a crazy bird. In that final order it stated that anyone trying to alter that order in the future would have to pay the winner's attorneys fees. Two years later, his ex-wife got it together and wanted Joint custody of their kids. She got it. All of a sudden, my dad was hit with a $46,000 + 6%/year attorneys fee award and it was put in the FINAL COURT ORDER. Is this dischargeable in bankruptcy???

1. Dorota J. Trzeciecka

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . I actually wrote a blog on similar topic. I included a link below. I hope it helps answer your question.

2. Kevin Christopher Gleason

Pro

2

Answered . Start from the assumption that is NOT dischargeable BUT see the definition of Domestic Support Obligation in 11 USC 101 and the exceptions from discharge in 11 USC 523(a)(5),(15).

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

3

Answered . It's "possible". However, the reality is governed by the facts of the case. He should consult with an experienced Bankruptcy Attorney who will examine the Family Court Order and the rest of the facts of the case and make a recommendation.