Skip to main content

Can my company pay a independent contractor via a pre-paid card?

Saginaw, MI |

I have a company (Record Label) and I have signed a singer (Independent Contractor) in South Carolina. I need to pay the singer for her services. So can my company get the singer a pre-paid debit card and pay her via the pre-paid debit card?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Presumably, you already have a contract with the singer that spells out the payment terms. I doubt that it says anything about the propriety of using a debit card. I think you should secure the agreement of the singer or the singer's agent to being paid this way before you go ahead and do it. And, if they agree, you need to get their agreement documented. Keep the document with your contract papers, in case there is some dispute. If they don't agree, you should pay them in accordance with the contract, or seek local legal advice if you want to push ahead with the debit card anyway.



Due to the contract my company is acting as the singer agent and attorney-in-fact to sign any such documents in singer name with singer consistent.


In lay terms, will she agree to it? If so, fine.


Yes, if she agrees. If not, then no. Good luck!

This advise is only being offered as a courtesy. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and I do not represent you. Additional, the advice I have provided was based on the limited fact pattern provided by you. If the facts differ, my advice may not be correct. If you live in Michigan and would like legal assistance with your issue, feel free to contact me: 586-615-0756

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer