Can my child support payments be lowered if I owe arrears?

Asked 12 months ago - Kansas City, KS

I am being told by DCF Child Support Enforcement that I can not get my payments of $440 a month lowered due to my arrears of $4000. I have no income, which is why I owe arrears, so this makes no sense to me. They said if I wouldn't have been owing then they could've been lowered. Is this their rules or is this the law in Kansas?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Ronald W. Nelson

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You are being given bad information. Contact an attorney immediately and file the modification request.

    This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am licensed... more
  2. Allison Greenlee Korr

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You need to file to modify your child support amount immediately, otherwise arrears will continue accruing until you modify support. You usually can not get rid of arrearages in support. Seek local counsel to see what the procedure in your area is.

    The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,251 answers this week

2,889 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,251 answers this week

2,889 attorneys answering