Can my child support payments be lowered if I owe arrears?

Asked 12 months ago - Kansas City, KS

I am being told by DCF Child Support Enforcement that I can not get my payments of $440 a month lowered due to my arrears of $4000. I have no income, which is why I owe arrears, so this makes no sense to me. They said if I wouldn't have been owing then they could've been lowered. Is this their rules or is this the law in Kansas?

1. Ronald W. Nelson

Answered . You are being given bad information. Contact an attorney immediately and file the modification request.

2. Allison Greenlee Korr

Answered . You need to file to modify your child support amount immediately, otherwise arrears will continue accruing until you modify support. You usually can not get rid of arrearages in support. Seek local counsel to see what the procedure in your area is.