Can my child support payments be lowered if I owe arrears?

Kansas City, KS |

I am being told by DCF Child Support Enforcement that I can not get my payments of $440 a month lowered due to my arrears of $4000. I have no income, which is why I owe arrears, so this makes no sense to me. They said if I wouldn't have been owing then they could've been lowered. Is this their rules or is this the law in Kansas?

You need to file to modify your child support amount immediately, otherwise arrears will continue accruing until you modify support. You usually can not get rid of arrearages in support. Seek local counsel to see what the procedure in your area is.

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

I turned in a modification and they told me that due to me owing arrears they couldn't lower my child support payments...does that sound right? Is that Kansas law or their rules?

And i am not trying to get rid of my arrears, even though i should have never been put on child support since I have our daughter a lot more than her mother does....but she gets away with lying about a lot of things which is hard to prove!

Allison Greenlee Korr

Allison Greenlee Korr

You really need to discuss your situation with a local attorney, something isn't correct.

You are being given bad information. Contact an attorney immediately and file the modification request.

This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am licensed to practice only in Kansas. Seek legal advice from an attorney in your state or the state in which your legal claim exists.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support