Can my child's father bring up rumors that he has heard from people during mediation or court when he doesn't have proof of it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Omaha, NE

When parents separate, I've noticed that people start talking and making rumors up so things get started and more difficult. However, people are telling my child's father things are going on that shouldn't be around my daughter and where I live. Since my child's father heard this, he assumes it's true. I'm not going to sit here and try to convince him that it's not true. I know the truth and that my daughter is safe and what goes on around my house. However, is he allowed to bring these so called allegations up in mediation or court since it's all hear say and he has no proof of anything going on except what people have told him?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Ashley Lee Albertsen

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . He would not be able to bring it up in Court, as there the hearsay rules apply. However, in mediation there is no hearsay ruling. You can certainly mention that there is no evidence of these things, and that you want to stick to the facts during mediation, but there is no law preventing him from bringing it up in mediation. Although, such things should not be mentioned in any mediated plan between the two of you that might be presented to the court.

    I am a licensed attorney in the state of Nebraska. However, the advice I give here is not to be taken as legal... more
  2. Jeffrey Lynn Peach

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Of course, I am not in Nebraska; so consider that. Your question involves apples and oranges. In Mediation, the floor is basically open; however, in general, if mediation failes; it is considered part of negotiations and cannot be discussed at court. As far as Court, there are simply too many variables for any attorney to answer here on AVVO with the limited information you have provided. Depending on the allegation, if it involves abuse; most states have laws that require a person with knowledge of abuse to report it to the Dept of Children Services (or your states version) and could be in violation of criminal law if they do not. Obviously, your post does not communicate what the allegation is. You bring up hearsay, but do be aware that there are exceptions to hearsay, so there is not a blanket "no" on all hearsay. You would be wise to consult an attorney in your area before attending mediation or court. The results of either can have lasting implications without solid legal counsel. Good luck.

    The preceeding is for educational purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is not established. Laws in... more
  3. Jamie Christine Cooper


    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . Unfortunately he can bring it up in mediation. Wiithout evidence, however, it will not likely hold any weight.

  4. Peggy Margaret Raddatz


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . He can bring up whatever he wnts in mediation. It is not a formal court hearing or trial. He can not use hearsay in court.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,709 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,709 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering