Can my case be dismissed on grounds of a technicality?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I was charged with a crime but on the charging instrument complaint tgey have identified me by my correct name but then in two other paragraohs it gas my first name correct and two times my last name is wrong. I have a court appointed attorney and i feel like he dont want to work....

Discuss this with your lawyer

If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit Good luck!

The charging instrument can be easily amended by the State. If you set the case for trial, they will almost certainly catch the error and correct it. Or it may be a harmless error depending how incorrect the spelling is. Also, it sounds like you are talking about an enhancement paragraph. This has no effect on the underlying charge--just whether or not they can prove that paragraph.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

Bottom line: a misspelling or wrong last name in a subsequent paragraph of an indictment is not likely to result in a dismissal or directed verdict. Talk to your lawyer about whether or not this specific error is meaningful.