Can my car be seized without good reason!

Asked 10 months ago - Auburn, WA

My boyfriend was driving my car, got pulled over for turning on blinker too late, was told his texas license was not valid(and per texas gov website it is) the officer punched a whole in it with his knife..asked to search the car further after looking in it and the trunk already.then he was denied the search by my boyfriend and they seized the car till they obtain a search warrent! Is any of this legal!?

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Richard H. Wooster

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Cannot tell from your question. My advice, get a new boyfriend.

    This response does not create a lawyer client relationship. Each case is determined on its specific facts and... more
  2. Jacob Brian Smith

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Although I am not a criminal defense attorney, I'm pretty sure it is perfectly legal.

  3. Merry Melinda Fountain


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should contact a criminal defense attorney in Auburn. Check this web site for a list under Find a Lawyer. This was posted as a personal injury question but it is actual criminal law, and I have edited it.

    Merry Fountain is licensed to practice law in Indiana. She can be contacted at 1-888-242-HURT. This is not legal... more
  4. Michael R Crosner

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Consult a local criminal law attorney - many offer free initial consultations

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney .... more
  5. Kevin Don Tarvin

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Absolutely your car can be seized without good reason. Your remedy is attempting to get it back. If this is a Washington case and your vehicle was seized with the intent to forfeit, you should have been provided with Notice of Seizure and Intended Forfeiture. At this point, your obligation is to notify the Sheriff or Police Chief of the seizing agency in writing (certified letter recommended) within 45 days of seizure, requesting return of your property.

    Although I am pleased to provide general information, I am not and cannot be your attorney unless retained with a... more
  6. Albert Lee Crosner

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would strongly recommend contacting a local area criminal law attorney for your boyfriend. Many offer free consultations. If you do not know of one, you can use this website for a good referral. This does not sound right.

    Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,157 answers this week

2,898 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,157 answers this week

2,898 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary