Can my car be seized is titled my name not daughter's who was driving while revoked, I had no knowledge she didn't have license

Dubuque, IA |

My daughter 33 years old, lives in Illinois received DUI in Feb of 2012 I thought my daughter had her license back her boyfriend/son's father was tragically killed in July 2012 her car broke down in October 2012 so we left our car there as we were not using it and she basically has no family support in the area. This car is titled in Iowa to my husband and I. My daughter had to go to work and pick up her son. On way home 1 block from her home officer pulled her over for no reason except that he said he was informed she did not have a license. Can state of Illinois keep our vehicle? It is titled to my husband and I. We want our car back. help please

There are defenses you can assert as innocent owner.

I am not licensed in Illinois, but perhaps your vehicle is simply impounded because she is revoked or otherwise not able to lawfully drive? Maybe you can pay to have it removed from impound and returned to you?

I have had clients face a similar situation in CA. The only thing I can suggest is to talk to a locally experienced attorney. They may have some ideas about how to get it out before the impound fees get outrageous. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

Traffic tickets topics