Can my business name be similar to another business name if my name contains one additional word which makes it different?

Oakland, CA |

I have a business name that is similar to one of my competitors unintentionally. I have built on the name and branded my products, cards etc. and I am in love with my company name. My name is similar but mines contains one additional word and the products that I will offer on-line will be much more extensive than my competitors. I will offer baby, girls, women, and boys clothing, gifts for the entire family, furniture, home decor, wedding gifts, shower gifts and many more. My competitor offers products for baby's and children only. Both of our stores are on line and there are already two other stores that have a similar name that seem to be continuing business with no problem. My website is being designed and it has a totally different flare, more of a larger retail store feel. Help Please!

1. More facts are needed for a reliable answer to your question. Those issues include : did you check if the name that you want to use has a copyright? Trademark? You state other businesses use similar name for years. How many businesses and for how many years? This is very important. The truth of the matter is that you are in almost the same business with the other "competitor" .That can create legal issues. You really need someone that is an entrepreneurial attorney to assist you with all the above prior of spending more money with the name you want to use.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.

2. I agree with my colleagues: Rights and obligations in a situation such as yours are highly fact-dependent.

The only way you can obtain an answer - and, even then, it may not be definitive - is to discuss all of the relevant facts with with a qualified lawyer, who then can render an opinion.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

3. I agree with my colleagues. You may want to think about a situation where you are very successful in what you are doing and making your namesakes jealous, whose products are of low quality. You may want to consider business strategy, rather than love for a name.

This is not a legal advice or solicitation, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney. I work for Cardinal Risk Mangement and Cardinal Intellectual Property, IP service companies, but not law firms. I also am the president of Vepachedu Educational Foundation Inc., which is a non profit educational foundation. I also write cultural and scientific compliations for the foundation. I also teach at Northwestern university as a guest lecturer. I also provide some pro-bono guidance on immigration and other issues through Indian American Bar Association. I also have a contract with Cardinal Law Group, a law firm, for IP projects. All this information is on my profile at Avvo and also at Linkedin. Any views/opinions expressed in any context are my personal views in individual capacity only, and do not represent the views and opinions of any firm, client, or anyone else, and is not sponsored or endorsed by them in any way.

4. Your situation looks, tastes and smells of future problems. You have a two-fold analysis as follows: 1.) Your legal analysis and 2.) Your business analysis. In regard to the legal analysis, if the competitors are pre-existing in the business it really may be a tough go. It’s sort of the Silicon Valley syndrome where the big guys litigate the little guys out of business. Even if you stand on al fours legally you may not be able to afford to defend yourself in court till final resolution at the end of a trial. From my recollection of past history I don’t think you can open up any kind of business selling food with the name of McDonalds even though that’s your own family name. If your competition is not enormous in size maybe you don’t have to worry so much about the business factor. In regard to legal analysis it’s going to take a very comprehensive review by a competent attorney. You must give him or her all available information, data, statistics, comparison of products, etc.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.