Can my boyfriend of 5years kick me out of our home?

Asked over 2 years ago - Elrosa, MN

But its his company house and we are not married. The company that he works for is paying the house.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Brandon Kavanagh

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is not enough information in your question to give you an appropriate answer. Are you on the lease or is his name the only name on the lease? You should talk to a MN attorney to see if MN law gives you any rights about whether you have to leave or how long you have to move out.

  2. Jaren Lee Johnson

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . I need more info, but if your boyfriend is not on title to the property he is likely a lessee or licensee. You have also achieved lessee or licensee status by virtue of your continued tenancy in the property. As such, the MN Landlord/Tenant laws apply and you cannot be forceibly removed from the property. Only a court order can force you to move and your boyfriend (as a lessee/licensee and not owner) likely does not have the standing to bring an eviction action against you.

    If your boyfriend is on title to the property (even if his company is paying for it), he can have you removed from the home but must do so through an eviction action.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,458 answers this week

3,124 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,458 answers this week

3,124 attorneys answering