Skip to main content

Can my boyfriend evict me? We have been living together over a year. There is a history of domestic violence.

Kansas City, MO |

This week he is mad at me because he thinks I lied to him and I did not and told him so. There is a pattern that follows when he gets mad over trivial issues and I've learned to deal with it but this is extreme. He is using violence, intimidation tactics, bullying, tape recording me, videotaping, name calling, throwing things, etc. I do not have the funds to move nor somewhere to go with my things. The house is in his mother's name but he says he owns it. I contribute to the household by purchasing groceries, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc. Besides the general upkeep of a home and watching his daughter.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I am sorry that you are going through this, since you are not married, the party on the lease has control. Further, if you are being abused by him you owe it to yourself to be happy and safe. Since it is in his mother's name, yes he can and you should leave and find somewhere safe. you have one life, be happy and be good. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.



Thank you for your comment. I thought there was a domestic violence act where you couldn't put a woman out on the street. I have spent the majority of my funds every month on him and his child. I live in Missouri.


You are not married and you are not renting from the owner; you are there on an at will basis. Is the boyfriend his mother's "property manager" with authority to act on her behalf over "tenants"? He may not have the real authority to evict you, but his mother does. The thing is, why are you staying if you are being mistreated like you say you are? Have you thought of getting an Order of Protection to keep him away from you? There are a lot of issues to discuss. As I am often in Court call my assistant Dan London at 312-807-3990 to set up a private telephone consultation. At the consultation we can discuss the confidential details we need to craft a strategic plan. These details should not be broadcast over the Internet.

This is a general answer and does not address the specifics of your individual case. To give the specific answer you need our firm needs you to come in for a consultation.



Thank you, I can call tomorrow if it is free. I am still here because I do not have the extra funds for a moving truck, deposits on things, etc.

Joseph Henry Sparacino

Joseph Henry Sparacino


When you're ready we're here.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer