Skip to main content

Can my boyfriend and I get custody of his daughter

Westchester, IL |

The mother of my boyfriend's 2 children has full custody, but it is an increasingly abusive home. The 16 yr old son is ok and is rarely home, but the 11 yr old daughter is in a terrible situation. I am a 37 yr old professional woman with my own home and spare bedroom (s). My boyfriend "lives" here but he is only home a couple times per month due to his job. I can't bear to watch this anymore. Is there any way I can (or maybe through my boyfriend) can get her out of that home and with me where she can be safe.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You have no standing to seek custody of the child. If you were to marry your boyfriend, he might have a chance, but if he is gone as much as you say, it will be difficult. Your boyfriend really needs to discuss the child's situation with an experienced family law practitioner.



Thanks! I'll talk to him about this. He's in this weekend.


you cannot get custody nor visits. he can but he is not home much. so how could he have custody, most of the parenting time, if he is not there? difficult to do.

he should take all his court papers to a lawyer for a consultation.



Thank you! I'll let him know. Hard to watch and do nothing, figured my hands were tied, but worth asking! He has some hope maybe, he is planning to talk to a lawyer asap so we'll see if anything can be done.


Your boyfriend must take action. He should consult with a familly law attorney and discuss this in greater detail. If there is abuse he should probably seek an Order of Protection for the children ASAP. Until he gets home he can have the police do wellness checks on the children and stay in contact with their teachers.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer