Can my boss take money from my paycheck?

Asked over 4 years ago - Fort Washington, MD

I work in a small, franchised resturant and when the money is short on the shift, it comes out of someone's paycheck. Even though I am not on the register for the entire shift, I do most of the transactions and when money is short on my shift, it all comes out of my paycheck. My boss has no proof of theft or any tampering other than the missing money. Is this legal in the state of MD? Can money be taken out because of non-monetary loss (e.g. missing food products)

1. Neil Stuart Hyman

Answered . Your employer should not be taking money out of your pay without prior written authorization by you to do so. You should consult your employee manual or handbook to determine if there is a procedure for a short register or missing food items and I urge you to consult with an attorney about any possible claim for a violation of the Maryland Wage Payment and Collection Law. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this matter.

Neil S. Hyman, Esquire
    Law Office of Neil S. Hyman, LLC
    4416 East West Highway, Suite 400
    Bethesda, Maryland 20814
    301-841-7105
    neil@neilhymanlaw.com
    www.neilhymanlaw.com
    Licensed in DC & MD