Can my boss force me to take another position in a separate department?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Kennesaw, GA

1. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

1

Answered . No, your boss can't FORCE you to change positions or duties. However, absent unusual circumstances, such as a contract, your boss can terminate your employment. The employer typically dictates work duties, not the employee.

2. Ashley Anne Digiulio

Pro

1

Answered . Your boss can't force you to take the different job, but has the right to lay you off if you don't decide to take the other job unless you have a contract with the employer in which the employer waives rights to Georgia 'At Will' Laws. If you don't have such a contract, your options are to quit, hold out and be laid off or hope that you don't get laid off, or take the other job. If you take the other job, it is the same as being laid off and the taking a new job and starting from day 1, unless there is a contract to the contrary.

3. David B Pittman

Pro

Answered . No but they terminate you as an "at will" employ.