Can my boss fire me for being on medical leave

Asked almost 2 years ago - Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been on medical leave for 2 weeks due to a knee injury. I now have to have surgery and my boss is saying she can no longer hold my position, I was just wondering if its leagel it fire me if I have an off work note from my DR.

1. Craig Trent Byrnes

Pro

Answered . You are entitled to have your job back if you were on FMLA/CFRA leave. You may also be entitled to time off, without losing your job, if your knee injury was the result of a recognized disability, or because of a work-related injury.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Sincerely,
    Craig T. Byrnes
    www.ctblawfirm.com

2. Marilynn Mika Spencer

Answered . There are various sources of POTENTIAL protection related to your medical status.

If the condition is due to a disability as defined by law, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, 42 U.S.C. sections 12101 et seq. (ADA) and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act, California Government Code sections 12900, et seq. (FEHA) may provide some protection. Please look at my guide on the ADA: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/employment... and also on the differences between the ADA and California’s more generous FEHA: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/employment.... The ADA applies to employers with at least 15 employees; the FEHA requires only 5 employees. These laws protect you from discrimination (adverse treatment) DUE TO disability and also require the employer to provide reasonable accommodation (change in the manner in which work is done) so you can do the main parts of the job (essential functions). A leave of absence can be a proper reasonable accommodation.

There is limited protection if the illness or injury is caused by a serious medical condition as that is defined by law. You may be protected under the Family and Medical Leave Act, 29 U.S.C. section 2101 et seq. (FMLA) and the California Family Rights Act, Government Code section 12945.2 (CFRA) if all of the following is true: (a) your employer has at least 50 employees who work within 75 miles of one another; and (b) you have worked for this employer for at least one year all together, even if not consecutively; (c) you have worked for this employer at least 1,250 hours in the immediately preceding year; and (d) you have a serious medical condition as defined by the FMLA. The FMLA allows employees to take leaves of absence from work without repercussion, up to a maximum of 12 weeks per year. Leave can be in increments as short as fractions of an hour.

Please look at my guide on the Family and Medical Leave Act, 29 U.S.C. section 2101 et seq. (FMLA) to see if that law applies in your situation: http://www.avvo.com/pages/show?category_id=6&pe.... California’s CFRA is the same as the FMLA in all areas other than pregnancy disability and enforcement.

Finally, if the condition is due to on-the-job injury, is caused by work or is made worse by work, California’s workers' compensation laws may provide some relief. To find a workers' compensation attorney, please look at the membership list of the California Applicant Attorneys Association (CAAA) http://caaa.org/cs/. CAAA is the strongest bar association in California for attorneys who represent injured workers.

Your rights under each of these three laws are independent of one another. That is, you may be entitled to protection from each of these laws at the same time.

Employment law is complicated and fact specific. You may wish to speak with an experienced plaintiffs employment attorney. To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in California, please go to the web site of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA). CELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the state for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is www.cela.org, and you can search for attorneys by location and practice area. Many CELA attorneys represent clients throughout the state.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

3. Arkady Igor Itkin

Pro

Answered . Hello,

As other attorneys pointed out, if qualify for FMLA/CFRA leave then you should apply for such leave in writing as soon as possible with your employer. If your employer consists of under 50 employees but over 5 employees, than you are protected by FEHA (fair employment and housing act), and you are entitled to a reasonable accommodation to your injury and surgery. Once such accommodation is having time off to recover from your injury and surgery. Then, the question becomes whether keeping your position open or otherwise accommodating you would impose undue hardship on your employer's operations. This is a highly fact specific question and more details are needed about your job duties, the nature of your employer's business, etc...

Thanks,

Arkady Itkin
    San Francisco Employment Lawyer

4. Nicholas M. McLeod

1

Answered . If your employer is subject to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and you are on qualified FMLA leave, then the employer is obligated to hold your job for you while you take leave.

If you're a full-time employee with more than one year of service, and the employer has more than 50 employees, you may qualify. Contact a local employment law attorney to determine whether you are protected by the law.