Can my boss charge me/deduct from my paycheck?

Burlington, NC |

I work sales and recently I accidentally ran a credit card for a costumer over the phone. It looked like the charge went through, and we sent the costumer the product, however I apparently had hit a wrong key and the card did not go through. This was not covered in training and now all employees are being trained to avoid this mistake. For the last few months we've tried contacting the customer to get the money back, but to no avail. The owner/boss is now charging me for the product. Can she do this? With this charge my income/wage will still be above minimum wage, but barely.
My friend said I should have a lawyer intervene for me, but if I do, what If I am fired or my hours are cut drastically - I work 40+ hrs a week?

Not without your permission.

She can only charge you if she has an agreement from you in writing to pay for such things. I am attaching a link to the NC Department of Labor's Fact Sheet regarding deduction from wages.

Kirk J. Angel is an experienced North Carolina licensed attorney who focuses his practice on employment law. Mr. Angel, who has focused on employment law for more than 15 years, represents clients throughout North Carolina and more information about him is available at This response is for general informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney client relationship. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer in your state who practices in the appropriate area.

Recommended articles about Employment