Can my baby's father terminate his rights?

Asked 6 months ago - Hood River, OR

My daughter is 2 and a half. Her father has never been around nor does he want to.He has been dodging child support up until they caught up with him and made him do a DNA test. Now he wants to sign away his rights so he doesn't have to help me with child support. I told him he could see his daughter but we would have to go through the court process. He said he doesn't want to see her or pay for her. Can he do this?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In a word, no. The only way he can terminate his own parental rights and obligations is to allow your husband to adopt his daughter. That will terminate his obligation to pay support, and his right to parenting time and custody.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or... more
  2. Jay Bodzin

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Ms. Gruber is correct. Forget the "rights" of parents - children have the right to have the support of both parents, if they have them. So the only way a parent can voluntarily terminate their own parental rights and responsibilities is for another adult to assume those same rights and responsibilities, by adoption.

    Please read the following notice:

    Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Father's rights in child custody

Father's rights refers to the parental rights of the father, primarily child custody and visitation rights. Fathers sometimes also need to establish paternity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,270 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,270 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering