Can my baby's father terminate his rights?

Asked 6 months ago - Hood River, OR

My daughter is 2 and a half. Her father has never been around nor does he want to.He has been dodging child support up until they caught up with him and made him do a DNA test. Now he wants to sign away his rights so he doesn't have to help me with child support. I told him he could see his daughter but we would have to go through the court process. He said he doesn't want to see her or pay for her. Can he do this?

1. Diane L Gruber

Pro

2

Answered . In a word, no. The only way he can terminate his own parental rights and obligations is to allow your husband to adopt his daughter. That will terminate his obligation to pay support, and his right to parenting time and custody.

2. Jay Bodzin

Answered . Ms. Gruber is correct. Forget the "rights" of parents - children have the right to have the support of both parents, if they have them. So the only way a parent can voluntarily terminate their own parental rights and responsibilities is for another adult to assume those same rights and responsibilities, by adoption.

Please read the following notice: