Can my baby's father terminate his rights?

Hood River, OR |

My daughter is 2 and a half. Her father has never been around nor does he want to.He has been dodging child support up until they caught up with him and made him do a DNA test. Now he wants to sign away his rights so he doesn't have to help me with child support. I told him he could see his daughter but we would have to go through the court process. He said he doesn't want to see her or pay for her. Can he do this?

In a word, no. The only way he can terminate his own parental rights and obligations is to allow your husband to adopt his daughter. That will terminate his obligation to pay support, and his right to parenting time and custody.

Be sure to designate "best answer." Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 27 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

Ms. Gruber is correct. Forget the "rights" of parents - children have the right to have the support of both parents, if they have them. So the only way a parent can voluntarily terminate their own parental rights and responsibilities is for another adult to assume those same rights and responsibilities, by adoption.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and are not intended to constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or solicit business. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. Information not contained in these posts may create significant exceptions to the advice provided in any response. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br>

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody