Can my attorney take my med pay, then quit the case and keep the money?

Tulsa, OK |

I hired an attorney to represent me in a car wreck I was in. I had very high med pay limits. $100k. I also was able to double dip under another med pay policy. My attorney took 33% of all med pay proceeds, then quit. I then had to hire another attorney to pursue the claim. I ended up paying a total of 66% in attorney fees. The Med pay was uncontested. The total amount he took was around $30k. Do I have any options? Our contract said he would not take any medpay, but he did.

whether your lawyer was permitted to take a fee for your medpay will be determined upon the contents of your contract if it was written and the states law related to fees. you will need to discuss with you second lawyer whether the first lawyer was entitled to the fees charged.

if youre not satisfied that he will discuss this with you then feel free to speak to another lawyer.

finally if youre still not satisfied you could inquire with the local bar association to see if they have a fee dispute resolution committee or with the state bar. before proceeding down this road because the attorney will be understandably irate you could call him and speak with him about the basis of his fee. additionally you could send him a letter requesting the explanation in writing.

without a detailed review by a lawyer can all the issues raised in your question be appropriately addressed...nothing in this response should be construed as establishing a lawyer client relationship..the answers herein are for informational purposes and not to be construed as advice

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes