Can my attorney sue me for attorney fees if I substitute him out? I paid a retainers fee and then he told me he will not charge

Can my attorney sue me for attorney fees if I substitute him out? I paid a retainers fee and then he told me he will not charge me anything else but that amount. He told me that he will charge the other party attorneys fees and although the hearing for that is next week (along with two other matters- mistake of him), I strongly believe that he does not deserve anything else other that what I already paid in retainers fees. And besides, he is changing a huge amount $11,000. When I tell him why he is changing so much if he has not done much, his response is "well its not you who is paying so dont worry about it" Irather find another lawyer and who will really help me and have this new attorney go after attorney fees. I am the petitioner in a family law case and I am unfortunately unemployed.

West Covina, CA -

Ross Carlton Meltzer

Ross Carlton Meltzer

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - San Francisco, CA

An attorney can sue a former client for unpaid attorney's fees. However, if you believe your attorney fees are unreasonable you can contact your local bar association and they will send the matter for arbitration.

Additional, you are permitted to hire another lawyer to handle your case. Though, I recommend that you discuss everything with your current attorney before you do so.