Can my attorney sue me for attorney fees if I substitute him out? I paid a retainers fee and then he told me he will not charge

West Covina, CA |

Can my attorney sue me for attorney fees if I substitute him out? I paid a retainers fee and then he told me he will not charge me anything else but that amount. He told me that he will charge the other party attorneys fees and although the hearing for that is next week (along with two other matters- mistake of him), I strongly believe that he does not deserve anything else other that what I already paid in retainers fees. And besides, he is changing a huge amount $11,000. When I tell him why he is changing so much if he has not done much, his response is "well its not you who is paying so dont worry about it" Irather find another lawyer and who will really help me and have this new attorney go after attorney fees. I am the petitioner in a family law case and I am unfortunately unemployed.

An attorney can sue a former client for unpaid attorney's fees. However, if you believe your attorney fees are unreasonable you can contact your local bar association and they will send the matter for arbitration.

Additional, you are permitted to hire another lawyer to handle your case. Though, I recommend that you discuss everything with your current attorney before you do so.

None of the information on this site constitutes legal advice. It is an ad for attorney services. The attorneys at DeDecker & Meltzer are licensed attorneys in the state of California. The information is intended to be general in nature as there are many laws and regulations not mentioned on this site that may apply to your situation. No attorney-client relationship is created between you and the Law Office of DeDecker & Meltzer unless a signed written fee agreement exists. You should not rely or act upon the information provided on this site without seeking the advice from an attorney.