Can my attorney's office raise the mutually agreed cap on my legal fees?

San Diego, CA |

I signed a fee cap agreement for 30 K about a year ago. Now, they want to raise the fee cap to 40 K.
Their reason is that the "case has become more broader" . Is that a genuine excuse?

1. if you agree they can do that. This is one of the problems with capping off fees.

2. I have handled these matters before and really need to know more. You would need to look at the scope of the retainer and see if the work that is being performed is inside or outside what was contracted for. It might be woth your while to consult with another attorney on this limited issue. Are tehy asking for a new agreement?

3. It depends on the exact terms of your retainer agreement and the nature of the "more broader" services, i.e., whether such broader services are covered within the cap. Most free agreements exclude certain services, such as appellate or writ practice. Many also exclude services related to a cross complaint. I agree a paid consultation with second attorney may be worthwhile to explore this single issue. Good luck.

-- Michael

Michael R. Daymude, Attorney at Law
    Sherman Oaks Galleria – Comerica Bank Building
    15303 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 900
    Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-3199
    (818) 971-9409
    www.mrdaymude.com

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br> <br> Michael R. Daymude, Esq., Sherman Oaks Galleria – Comerica Bank Building, 15303 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 900, Sherman Oaks, CA 91401-6150. Telephone: 818.971.9409 • Website: mrdaymude.com