Skip to main content

Can my attorney leave when my settlement check is ready?

Dearborn, MI |

My attorney called and told me my settlement check was ready for pick up, i couldn't make it that day because of work, i went the days later and he had left out of town on business and he has not return is he the only person that can give me my check and how long do i have to wait before he's at fault?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Your attorney should've of designated another staff member to give you your check and have you sign appropriate paperwork. That being said if he is away on business there would really be no fault in delaying giving you the check.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

  2. I would find out when the attorney is back in town and have a meeting scheduled.

    Good luck.

    AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

  3. Call his office and speak to his paralegal. See if they an get in touch with the lawyer and get permission to disburse or find out when he is coming back. If that doesn't work then call and make an appointment as soon as they are back in town.

  4. Attorneys are human and need vacation too. I am sure he or she will be back and you'll get your check. Be patient.

  5. Find out the date his is expected back in the office to get your check.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  6. As long as he signed the check before he left, someone else should be able to hand it to you with his permission/instruction. You would also have to sign a Release at some point before getting the check, typically.

    not a complete and all encompassing informative guide to the law. Every year, the Michigan Law changes in some fashion. New laws are passed and the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court decide cases that change the law. As a result, we recommend that you contact a licensed attorney who specializes in this area of the law.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics