Can my attorney leave when my settlement check is ready?

My attorney called and told me my settlement check was ready for pick up, i couldn't make it that day because of work, i went the days later and he had left out of town on business and he has not return is he the only person that can give me my check and how long do i have to wait before he's at fault?

Dearborn, MI -

George Costas Andriotis

George Costas Andriotis

Personal Injury Lawyer - Tarpon Springs, FL

Your attorney should've of designated another staff member to give you your check and have you sign appropriate paperwork. That being said if he is away on business there would really be no fault in delaying giving you the check.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
David B Pittman

David B Pittman

Personal Injury Lawyer - Fort Myers, FL

Call his office and speak to his paralegal. See if they an get in touch with the lawyer and get permission to disburse or find out when he is coming back. If that doesn't work then call and make an appointment as soon as they are back in town.

Kenneth Lee LaBore

Kenneth Lee LaBore

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Minneapolis, MN

I would find out when the attorney is back in town and have a meeting scheduled.

Jason A. Waechter

Jason A. Waechter

Personal Injury Lawyer - Southfield, MI

As long as he signed the check before he left, someone else should be able to hand it to you with his permission/instruction. You would also have to sign a Release at some point before getting the check, typically.

Sagi Shaked

Sagi Shaked

Personal Injury Lawyer - Miami, FL

Attorneys are human and need vacation too. I am sure he or she will be back and you'll get your check. Be patient.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Find out the date his is expected back in the office to get your check.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com