Can my age help in getting my ticket cost/points reduced?

Asked 10 months ago - Acworth, GA

I was ticked for speeding, 74mph in a 45mph zone, in GA. If convicted i will get 4 points off my licence. I was under 21 at the time of my citation but i am going to be 21 for my court date. I have seen that the fine is $340 but i can not pay online because i am required to show up to court. I am guessing this is due to my age and the fact that 24mph+ is considered reckless driving and being that i'm not 21 my licence suspended for 6 months. This is my 1st offence--EVER.
Does the fact that my age is going to change before i am formally convicted or plea guilty change the out come of my case?If it does, will taking a defensive driving class help me at all?Also the clerks office has posted that the prosecutor will NOT speak to defendants before the trial.How do i talk to him about a deal?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes. Turning 21 on your court date will save your license. The suspension is controlled by your age on the date of conviction. Since you will be 21 on your court date then you will not be suspended. In either event, when you go to court, and they call your name, ask to speak to the prosecutor. Ask the prosecutor to reduce your speed to 59 in a 45 so the charge will not even go on your driving history.

    James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on... more
  2. Ashley Whittington McMahan


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Yeargan, this will be fine as long as you are 21 on the date of conviction. Asking the prosecutor to reduce the speed or to change the charge to a city ordinance or a basic rules violation will keep anything from going on your driving history.

  3. Larry Wilcutt Fouche


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Wait for court and when you are called, try and get the prosecutor to reduce the speed and pay the fine. Take money with you so you can resolve it then and there. Since you are now 21, no suspension issues.

Related Topics

Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Tickets for reckless driving

Reckless driving is a higher level traffic infraction than careless driving, usually involving "wanton disregard" for driving laws and/or safety.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,056 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,056 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering