Can my 7yr old son and 11yrd old daughter share a room but they have different beds?

Jacksonville, FL |
Filed under: Divorce

I am going thru a divorce and Im requesting share physical custody which we will be rotating weeks. I am moving to a 3br apt which the lil ones will share a room. Can this be used against me at the final hearing?

There's certainly nothing abusive about it, and no one is going to tell you there's something wrong with it, but, on the other hand, if your spouse has a place with separate bedrooms for the kids, your spouse will have an advantage on that ground. Of course, it probably won't make too much of a difference, and you should talk to a lawyer to learn how much of a difference in your case, but in a custody case, everything matters.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

In Florida, the word "custody" is no longer used. What the court requires is a Parenting Plan with a time-sharing schedule. If the parties cannot come to an agreement regarding the terms of said Parenting Plan and time-sharing schedule, the Judge or Magistrate presiding over your case will determine it.

That said, the court will consider "the best interest of the child(ren)".

Look up Florida Statute 61.13 to assist you in determining which factors favor you and which factors favor your spouse.

You should seriously consider retaining an experienced family law attorney to reprsent you in this matter.

No communication resulting from this posting will create an attorney-client relationship. In order to create an attorney-client relationship you will need to meet with the attorney and execute a written retainer agreement. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as you have executed a retainer agreement and an attorney-client relationship has been established. Furthermore, this posting and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent counsel for advice on any legal matter.