Can my 6 year old nephew qualify for social security benifites, his mom past away and dad got deported. Grandma has custody.

Asked over 1 year ago - Tracy, CA

my mom has full custody of my 6 year old nephew, she gets cash aid for my younger brother and my nephew , but it isnt enough to cover rent and bills. Is it posible that she will qualify for social security benifites for him??

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the child's mother has been a wage-earner with sufficient quarters of Social Security earnings, a minor child would normally be entitled to survivor's benefits on her account. She can file an application on the child's behalf online or through the local Social Security office.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,195 answers this week

3,152 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,195 answers this week

3,152 attorneys answering