Can my 18 year old son still get medicaid even though he has been denied social security benefits, which will cancel out his

Asked over 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

medicaid coverage due to my child support income?

1. Clifford Michael Farrell

Answered . If your son is 18, there may be some reduction in his medicaid eligibility, but he is an adult so medicaid should not be totally wiped out.

And, if he got his SS denial in the past 60 days you need to appeal immediately. Most states have a requirement that before they will pay medicaid benefits you must have filed AND file an appeal to keep your SSI case alive - becasue they later get reimbursed from the federal government if you win.

You may want to talk to an attorney in your area so you can review the specific facts with counsel. You may contact your local city, county or state bar association to see if they have a lawyer referral program, or you may contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) for the name and email address or telephone number of attorneys in your area. Most attorneys who do any amount of Social Security work are members of NOSSCR and provide a free initial consultation. In any event, no attorney may charge a fee for work on a social security claim until it has been approved by Social Security. The fee limit is a maximum of 25% of past due or back due benefits you are owed, and many lawyers charge less than the full 25%, and the money is not paid until your claim has been approved.

The telephone number for the lawyer referral service of NOSSCR is 1-800-431-2804. NOSSCR's website is www.nosscr.org.

In addition, you can find a Board certified specialist in Social Security by contacting the National Board of Trial Advocacy. They evaluate lawyers (independently) in many types of claims and require extensive experience and testing before a lawyer is certified. They have a section specifically for Social Security: The National Board of Social Security Disability Advocacy, Divisions of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification.

Their link is: http://www.nblsc.us/

You may also contact NADR (National Association of Disability Representatives) www.nadr.org – automated Telephone Referral System at 1-800-747-6131

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you!
    ------------------------------------------
    Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.