Can my 16 year old son apply for social security disability benefits he is paralyzed as a result of an accident

Asked over 5 years ago - Plainfield, CT

I live in ct. and my son had an accident last year which resulted in him breaking his neck and is paralized he is sixteen and i am trying to find out if he's could get social security disablitiy benefits

1. Felice Adrienne Brodsky

2

3

Answered . He can not get Social Security Disability benefits unless he worked and paid into Social Security for a certain period of time/certain amount of money. He could qualify for benefits on a parent's record if they were either deceased or collecting Social Security Retirement or Disability. Since he became disabled prior to 22 years old, he should qualify in the future if you have not yet reached retirement age. There is another program called SSI disability, but that is based on income and assets. When a child is under 18, the parents' income and assets are "deemed" to the child through a formula. You can contact Social Security with the amounts of family income and assets and they could tell you if he qualified for this. The deeming stops at 18, and only counts his income and assets at that point.