Skip to main content

Can My ( J 1 ) Visa will be extended I want to apply for asylum in USA?

Washington, DC |

I am coming to USA for an exchange visit on a J1 visa for the international visitors leadership program and the program is only for 15 days , How can I extend my visa and stay till the decision of my asylum case ?

Attorney Answers 3


Depends on the visa and you do not need to extend it to apply for asylum. Talk to an immigration attorney. Asylum is one of the most difficult areas of immigration law and one where many sharks operate and unauthorized practice of law happens. That is to say two things: 1. It is very difficult if not impossible to successfully present an asylum claim without competent assistance of an immigration attorney well experienced in asylum law. 2. Depending on a venue, there are manifold individuals out there, more numerous than in any other area of immigration law, who purport to offer services to potential refugees for a fee and either pose as attorneys and thus engage in outright fraud or try to convince applicants that the attorneys are two expensive and not necessary and often push applicants to commit fraud to “enforce” their claims. Beware of such personalities and try to seek out legal help from a licensed, experienced and competent immigration attorney. Remember: frivolous, that is deliberately fabricated asylum application may result in many troubles including complete ineligibility for life for any immigration benefits including immigrant status though bona fide marriage to USC or by petition of USC child over the ager of 21.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


If you, as an asylum applicant, are in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa, the act of applying for asylum itself will not extend the 15-day period that you are permitted to stay. If you are denied asylum and have overstayed you visa, you will trigger § 222(g) of the Act which means that the your visa will be immediately void.

To avoid this, you will need to obtain an extension of your stay by filing Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change. If approved, this will protect your J-1 status and shield you from § 222(g) in case your asylum application is denied. However, you will likely have to overcome a presumption that you had prior intent is to remain in the United States permanently.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


If you apply for asylum, you will be allowed to remain in the US until your asylum case is decided. Moreover, you can apply for a work pwrmit after 150 days. It typically takes USCIS 45-60 days to interview and decide on an asylum case. If USCIS does not grant you asylum, your case will be transferred to an immigration court.

I strongly recommend that you work with a lawyer. Many of us offer free initial consultation for asylum cases. A good lawyer will professionally prepare your case, present it to the USCIS and prove it to the officer at the interview.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
1199 N Fairfax Street, Suite 702
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 527-1779

The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics