Can multiple parties sign a single NDA with another party, or do we need several NDAs?

Asked over 1 year ago - Carlsbad, CA

I'm part of a group of 8 people who are about to form a company. We have a meeting set up to talk with a potential investor, and we may be disclosing sensitive information to the investor. I figure, then, that we need an NDA before discussions start.

My question: do each of the 8 of us need to sign a separate NDA with this investor? Or can we just have one NDA that covers all 8 people in the group and the information they'd disclose?

1. Edward Zaryl Kotkin

Pro

9

1

Answered . The investor is the important party who executes the NDA. An authorized representative of the company can execute the document, acknowledging its receipt, and the company's reliance upon the NDA. Most NDAs are poorly drafted. Be careful.

Each of the eight of you should also be executing a PIIA (proprietary inventions and information agreement) with the company. Your failure to take this important step toward prudent management of the company's intellectual property could have dire consequences.

Hire legal counsel immediately. You can pay a relatively small amount now, and avoid paying a huge amount later.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

8

1

Answered . Yes, you only need one Non-Disclosure Agreement signed by all 9 of you. My biggest concern, though, is whether or not the NDA is adequate to protect the sensitive information.

3. Michael Charles Doland

7

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You only need one, but a good one. Boilerplate NDAs are particularly horrible in terms of "off the shelf" documentation because they just cannot predict the consequences of facts that an interview with an attorney would uncover, and thus deal with. The legal versus the psychological benefits are a different issue.

4. Evelyn Susan Ginossi

4

1

Answered . If you haven't yet formed a company and issued membership interests to each of the 8 people, then yes, all 8 people can sign the same document as the disclosing party. However, note that many potential investors will push back or negotiate the NDA, as the document may make it difficult to seek out investment opportunities in the future, particularly if the subject opportunity is defined in very broad terms.

With the above in mind, wise to coordinate with an attorney on drafting and signing an NDA so that you don't make a costly misstep.