Skip to main content

Can more alimony be granted along with back pay?

Santa Maria, CA |
Filed under: Alimony

I'm paying an agreed upon amount, less than I think I could have to pay. Now my ex is talking about asking for more alimony with back pay going back 1 year

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If there was a court order stating that you must pay alimony starting one year ago, then you may have to pay the back support. This however, is a a separate issue from the request to modify the current support order that you also listed. If there has been a change in financial circumstances, then spousal support may be modified to accommodate those changes. I would strongly recommend that you consult with an experienced attorney to help you with your case. There are many qualified and experienced attorneys willing to help you on Avvo through the "find a lawyer" feature. Best of luck.

  2. Normally, the increase or decrease only goes back to the date of the request, unless there is an allegation of fraud in your income and expense disclosure. Make sure you stay current and research "fiduciary duty" to your spouse to make sure you do not violate your duty to them.

  3. It depends on whether you were truthful in your prior financial disclosures.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics