Skip to main content

Can money from the G.I. bill be used as child support?

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Child support

I have the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill. I receive around 1600 dollars a month for housing allowance from the government. I only recieve this money if I am going to school and it may vary based on the number of days we have school throughout the month. For instance if school starts on August the 15th I will get paid only 800 dollars for that month because I only attended half a month at no fault of my own. I need to know if this money can be used because the amount is always changing.

Attorney Answers 2


Any money in your possession can be used to pay child support. If what you are asking is can it be used to determne child support that is a different and more state dependent quesiton.

This not legal advice which can only be given after a full disclosure and discussion regarding your particular situation. Any answer or comment by the attorney des not create an attorney client relationship and is not protected by privelege.

Mark as helpful


Yes, under CA Family Code 4058, all income from any source can be considered "income available for support." However, that is one number in many required input numbers for the calculation of child support, which include actual income, health insurance, child sharing percentage, etc., which must be entered for you and the other parent, so the amount may not greatly impact the award of child support.

Mark as helpful

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics