Can Mo probate court order me, the beneficiary, to turn over proceeds of exwife's IRA to Estate based on KS decree?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

-Case is in Mo. Probate--IRA funds have not been released to me yet
-Divorced in KS 10 yrs ago. Decree and Prop Sett. Agree. filed in state of KS
-Wife died in Mo. without a will. Did not remarry and no children.
-Prop Settlement Agmt awarded each our own 401k,RolloverIRA accts as sole and separate prop free and clear of any right, title or interest in Husband/Wife. It did not reference beneficiary rights in the Prop Sett Agremt.
- No QDRO done.
-Mutual Release of Marital Rights in Property Settlement Agreement---does not state anything about beneficiary (other than life insurance) Does not list any accounts or referrence retirement beneficiaries. Does not use the word "waive
-Estate saying I waived rights to be beneficiary
-Estate wants MO Probate to order me to turn proceeds over

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, a court could order this. You have stumbled upon one of the most hotly contested and litigated issues in courts, these days. Each circuit handles these cases differently. Many impose a constructive trust on the former spouse. Under Federal law, you are entitled to payment as the beneficiary. State law may provide that you are not allowed to keep it, however. You need to consult with a probate attorney right away to determine how MO law treats this.

    James Frederick

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and... more
  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Frederick.

    Many states have a law where the divorced spouse is considered to have predeceased the IRA owner. You actually have a divorce decree that says you have separated your assets. Still your ex spouse should have changed the beneficiary designation to someone other than you. Ex spouses failed to do that so often many states passed the statute that I mentioned.

    Recent court decisions are suggesting that there is unjust enrichment claim where someone like you gets the funds despite the divorce decree clearly stating the parties agreed to a financial parting of the ways. It s not clear though and it is not a slam dunk argument.

    Based on the facts that you have described, I do not think there is any reason to think that you were expected to get the death benefit under the IRA. If there is any reason to think your ex spouse really wanted that, then you could have an argument that you are entitled to it.

    One thing that I am little curious about is what jurisdiction does the MO court have over you since you apparently are living in San Diego. I am thinking that would have to pursue you in California. I am not sure what the jurisdiction issues are. I do not deal with jurisdiction issues often that cross state lines.

    You do not live in Mo. The decedent did though and the IRA was her asset. Maybe they have jurisdiction over who the proper beneficiary is over the IRA asset. They would probably have to get a court order and then pursue you in CA to get reimbursed on it. though. I am curious though, is there any reason to think that you should have been the beneficiary? Did she fail to change it because of inadvertence or she was conflicted and maybe you were the intended beneficiary.

    You could go to court in MO now and argue the funds are yours. If you do not, and lose the argument because you never showed up, they will have to transfer the order to CA and then you can argue the jurisdiction issue. However, if you lose it, then I do not believe you can re-argue the substantive issue. You may want to argue that now in MO. In my state, the ex-spouse beneficiary who inherits under an IRA has good arguments.

  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the assets are in the hands of the administator for her estate then you need to retain counsel right away to contest their designation of the funds as an estate asset.

    Legal disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of... more

Related Topics

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,403 answers this week

3,748 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,403 answers this week

3,748 attorneys answering