Skip to main content

Can me and my boyfriend get married if im 16 and he is 18? what do i have to bring?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

my mom and dad are separated and my dad pays child support and i have those papers. so does that mean neither one of them can come as long as i bring proof.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. The Texas Family Code Section 2.102 controls - Parental Consent for Underage Applicant. Since your parents are separated in the State of Texas, they are still married. Either can give their consent to your marriage, unless the temporary orders in their divorce state otherwise. You will need a certified copy of the temporary orders in their divorce for the clerk to review. However, if either parent does not approve of the marriage license, they can go to the court that controls their divorce and ask that the judge ask that the other parent not have the authority to allow you to marry. In summary, your marriage might be invalidated by the judge in your parent's divorce. So I would encourage you to have both of your parents sign the paperwork agreeing you to marry.

    Fran Brochstein has over 20 years legal experience & enjoys educating people about Texas laws and mediation. She has a full-time family law mediation practice in the Houston area. She will do face-to-face one-time consultations for $175/hour -- if you mention that you saw this special price on avvo. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that Fran Brochstein's reply to your question in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific legal problem. You can contact her at 713-805-9591 - 7 days a week on her personal cell phone.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics