Can master LLC of series LLC, formed in one state, have one of its series LLC's do business in another state?

Asked about 3 years ago - Seattle, WA

E.g., Master LLC formed in Nevada has one of its series LLC's do business in New York. Is this legal?

1. Kenneth Allyn Sprang

Answered . There should be no problem. An LLC organized in one state can do business in any other state. However, the LLC must register as a foreign LLC in the other state, e.g., New York.

2. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . I agree with Mr. Sprang. In PA this is referred to as a certificate of authority. There are various fees to be paid for doing so in our state and I suspect there will be fees in New York as well. Also, be aware that the series will have to file returns in both New York and NV.
    Get with a tax/business attorney to confirm these general comments and to see if there is a better way to go here.

Hope this helps. Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net . For further tax advice visit his website at www.sjfpc.com . and blog at <>