Can long-time resident alien students apply independently for permanent residency on the merit of time spent living in the U.S.?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I have lived and studied in the U.S. for over 17 years. I attended elementary and middle school as a G-visa dependent and graduated from both high school and university as an F-1 student. I have heard permanent residency applications are considered for students who have maintained status for several years (6-10?), but cannot find any official information. Are there any pathways to permanent residency for long-time resident aliens that have lived (and studied and worked) in the U.S. such as I? Thank you.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

2

Best Answer

Answered . The years spent in the US in student status will not win you any type of "credit" towards attaining permanent residency. The only avenues to gain a green care are
    1. Through marriage to a USC
    2. Employment petition for GC by employer
    3. Political Asylum
    4. Winning Diversity (GC) lottery
    6. EB-5 investor status (at least half a million $s.

2. Anu Gupta

Pro

6

2

Answered . You would need to file an employment based visa and then have the employer file for your green card.

3. Alena Shautsova

Pro

5

1

Answered . Living for a long time in the US by itself does not give you any privileges. You need to look into ways of staying in the US permanently.... Consult with an attorney.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . My colleagues are correct ... there is no path to a greencard merely because you were a student for 6-10 years.

You need an employer to offer you a job and then their immigration lawyer needs to file sponsorship papers.

5. Charles Richard Conroy

Pro

1

Answered . You get no credit. You need to find another way to get legal staus as either an immigrant or nonimmigrant. If you can be sponsored by an employer or family member, that would be the way to go. Consult eith an attorney who cam review your history, help you figure out what might be out there to help you.

6. Jeffrey Adam Devore

2

Answered . The reason you can't find any information on the program you seek is because it doesn't exist. As my colleagues haver recommended, consult with an experienced immigration attorney to determine the options available to you and how best to proceed.