Can lawyers take someone's name off of a title and deed without the actual title and deed?

Millersburg, OH |
Filed under: Deed to property

ex husband wont take it off of there and wont cooperate, I dont really want to waste money taken him to court becaues I know he wont show up or do it

1. IF you are an owner of a property, why take it off? You can transfer your ownership to someone else - perhaps by sale of your ownership interests. I'd speak with an Ohio Family Law attorney to sort out your best options going forward. Good Luck!

2. Short answer is no, a lawyer cannot, simply by virtue of being a lawyer, take someone's name off title to property (assuming that lawyer does not have an ownership interest in the house and is not POA for the owner). Is that what you were asking?

It sounds to me like this may have been marital property, and perhaps you or your spouse were ordered to quit claim interest to the other as part of the divorce? If that is the case, and someone isn't complying with the divorce decree regarding the property, that person may be held in contempt of court for such failure. You should probably consult with the attorney you used in the divorce regarding this issue. I hope this was helpful, and best of luck to you.

I am licensed in the State of Ohio, posting a response to your question or issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney who is licensed in your state to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights--or rights to recovery of damages.