Can lawyer who prepared codicil name himself executor and /or trustee?

Asked about 3 years ago - Boca Raton, FL

My husband's parents are deceased. They had wills prepared,and later had another lawyer prepare codicils. My husband was named executor in the original wills. However, when this lawyer did the codicils, he named himself as executor and trustee. Is this allowed, in the state of Florida and how can we reverse this?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Barry A. Stein


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . If your husband's parents signed off on the codicils it becomes their choice. Ultimately it is the Court's decision who to appoint. You can certainly challenge the attorney being appointed as Personal Representative. There are no executors in Florida. If the attorney is also a Trustee under a testamentary trust you can challenge that too. The fact that the prior will said something different will not be sufficient grounds to challenge it. I suggest you hire a competent probate attorney to get proper advice after reviewing all papers.

    The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual... more
  2. Michael Scott Bloom

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Mr. Stein is correct. The court will ultimately appoint the Personal Representative and any party having an interest in the Estate may apply for appointment. In this case, the court will consider the intent of your husband's parents in executing the codicils. Was there an existing attorney-client relationship with the attorney who named himself as personal representative? Is there a reason to believe that he should not serve? In determining whether there is a reason to not have him serve, you may also want to consider the size of the Estate since a personal representative is entitled to compensation under Florida law for their service. Lastly, will this attorney be used to handle the probate of the Estate? If so, perhaps the fee for his services can be negotiated to include both capacities.

  3. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . it is possible for an attorney to do this in many states hopefully based on the maker's wishes and the particular facts of the case. You can challenge such appointment but it becomes a facts and circumstances matter and you have not really provided much in this regard. In any event you are going to have to retain an estates attorney in your area to get advice and strategies as to how to proceed.

    Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more
  4. Benjamin I. Hirsch

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Many times attorneys are named as Executors of a person's will, there is nothing inherently nefarious or bad about it. Often times when people who have made a will make changes to appoint someone other than a child as an executor, they have a specific reason. I suspect that you want to claim your husband's parents named an independent third party as an executor because of bad actions, or duress by the attorney who drafted the codicil.

    If that's the case, you do need to hire an attorney and fight it. Be advised that the attorney you hired is going to need to get paid, as well as the attorney that the Executor of the Estate will have to hire to defend the estate.

    Will contests are often very expensive and the monies paid to the attornies are often charged off against the estate.

    The information provided is based solely on the general information given and should not be construed as legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,374 answers this week

2,929 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,374 answers this week

2,929 attorneys answering