Can late fees accrue after lease expires? we had extended stay of seven days, due to death in family.

Asked about 1 year ago - Buffalo, NY

our lease expired and was not renewed, we were moving out the end of July, my mom had passed in July which had put us a week behind in vacating, LL agreed we could extend stay at rate of $29/day. we asked LL to deduct amount owed from security, she has refused to do so and is now charging late fees for said week of rent. can this be done as we are no longer under lease agreement??. also LL has stated we have forfieted our security deposit with breach of lease. this lease provision is unlawful and violates state law NY RPP 235-b. LL is required to maintain safe furnace, not the tenant. a lease provision that over rides state law is void?

Additional information

thought that landlords are required by law to return deposit under NY General Obligation 7-105. how can she charge late fees when we are no longer under lease aggreement

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Peter Christopher Lomtevas


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You now find yourself in a legalistic mess. You didn't realize that landlords do not return security deposits without litigation in small claims court. Such litigation costs more than the security deposit is worth. You also did the landlord a favor by paying money to hold over very briefly.

    You should have sought help from an attorney. One of us would have told what to do and the landlord would right now have been in your shoes. Instead, you face litigation for the deposit the landlord will never refund to you.

    Good luck.

  2. Peter J Weinman


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . After the lease expired, you became a month-to-month tenant, but the terms of the lease (other than expiration date) still control - this includes late fees.

    Security deposits, however, should not to be used to offset those fees / rent.

    Sit with a local attorney to review the docs and render an opinion whether it makes sense to litigate.

    I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.
  3. Edward Brandon Beckham

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You should consult with an attorney, licensed in your jurisdiction, who is experienced in handling matters in this area of law. A skilled attorney in your jurisdiction will know which questions to ask you about your situation in order to assist you with making an appropriate determination regarding your situation.

    This is not legal advice. This response is provided for general information only, as a public service. It is not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,648 answers this week

2,988 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,648 answers this week

2,988 attorneys answering