Can landlords set cameras in a house?

Asked over 4 years ago - Belmont, MA

My landlord put some cameras in our living space except for our own rooms and the bathroom, and she is recording everything all the time. Is it allowed by the law?

1. John Keramaris

Answered . I respectfully disagree with the above attorney's response. Under no circumstances should a landlord put a camera in the living areas of a house. This is undeniably a breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment and thus, against the law.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship or an ongoing duty to respond to questions. This is not intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. For a specific answer to your question, you should speak with an attorney who practices in this specific area of law.

2. James Christopher Pittman

Answered . Review your lease agreement to determine whether you agreed to allow the landlord to install cameras in your house. If there is no provision in the lease allowing this action by the landlord, then arguably the landlord has no right to interfere with your exclusive possession of the house. I would hire an attorney to review the matter in greater detail and then the attorney may want to send a demand letter to the landlord requiring removal of the cameras.