Can landlords rent common areas (entrances/lobby/pool) to film crews even at the inconvenience to the tenants?

Asked over 1 year ago - North Hollywood, CA

The building I live in has been paid by film crews to block entrances and use common areas as lounge areas for case and crew without compensation to the tenants.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Douglas Whitney Weitzman

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Usually the landlord has the right to do anything with the common area of the property, subject to your "quiet enjoyment" of the property. That doesn't mean he or she has to give you absolute silence, but can allow film crews during regular business hours, and sometimes longer within a permit process obtained by the film crew.

    Again, it has to be reasonable, and it cannot be in your unit without your permission. Sometimes landlords give notice and sometimes give some kind of consideration to the tenants, such as a rent discount for the time filming, because it can be lucrative, but there is no obligation on the landlord to do so.

    If the film crew is out of line, very loud, etc., then you might complain to the film company and then to the landlord, but hopefully this is not for a long period of time. This is LA, so this kind of thing happens occasionally.

    This is general legal advice intended for informational purposes only and does not create and attorney/client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,556 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,556 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering