Can Landlords Charge Pet Deposit and Monthly Pet Rent?

Asked about 3 years ago - Portland, OR

I know the rental laws have changed quite a bit in Oregon and maybe the whole U.S. recently to protect tenants. For example apparently charging "non refundable fees" are illegal now. I was looking at an apartment and the rental manager said for our cat that we would have to pay a $300 pet deposit and a $30/month fee as well for "pet rent". To me it seems like they're exploiting this issue and charging twice for the same thing. Is there any law that says they can charge one or the other but not both? Thank You.

1. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

Answered . In Oregon a landlord most certainly can charge a pet deposit and pet rent, see ORS 90.300 — 302, and most do. The only time a landlord cannot charge a pet deposit or pet rent is if the animal is a companion or service animal required by a disabled person.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.