Can landlord start to rent his single family house without informing previous agent?

Asked about 1 year ago - Palm Coast, FL

I own a single family house. I had couple tenants for a year and half. An agent found the tenants, collected rent, took care of everything and sent me checks (rent, minus expenses, minus agent's fee). Now house is not occupied. No tenants. I did not ask agent to look for tenants. Can I find tenants, collect rent without using the agent?

1. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

7

1

Answered . Did you enter into a contract with the agent? Is there a length of time you are to use them for?

2. William Charles Rosenfelt

5

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Absent an agency agreement, the agent has no claim for any monies. I'm not sure how you ended up with the agent in the first place. Did you sign anything? If so, what?

3. Cheryl Rivera Smith

4

1

Answered . You would have to look at any written listing agreement or management agreement you may have with the agent.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now