Can landlord lock tenant out of basement storage where property and circuit breakers are? after tenant called code enforcement?

Asked over 1 year ago - Providence, RI

After i complained to the landlord about apartment issues and told him i called code enforcement and the building inspector because of his neglect , he locked my basement storage ( where i keep my stuff ) and where my electrical circuit breakers are . what are the penalties in rode island ? 3 times rent plus lawyer fees ? illegal lockout ? i believe he is trying to hide the code violations ( electrical and heating ) and the fact that the one ( old boiler ) and 3 fuse boxes run 6 apartments in this building that is listed as a 3 family home with the city ! Illegal multiple dwelling . what are my rights and compensation for this ?

1. John T. Longo

Pro

3

1

Answered . It is against the law for a RI landlord to retaliate against a tenant who calls code enforcement. I do not know if that is what he is doing.

2. Edward James Maher

1

Best Answer

Answered . Unless your lease states otherwise, you have the right to possess and hold all of the leased premises including the basement. So, though I am not licensed in RI, I suspect that the landlords actions are illegal. You may want to consult an attorney. In Maryland there are procedures to place rent into a court escrow account until the Inspector reports that code violations are remedied.