Asked over 1 year ago - New Orleans, LA

After my 1 year lease ends, I got a oral deal with my landlord to stay with the garage to storage my belongs for 30 days, I wrote a check for 30 days and he give me a recipe ( he cash the check). After 6 days my friends call me to advice that he put my things (ALL MY FURNITURE, DOCUMENTS, CLOUDS EVERYTHING) in trash. I was aut of state, My friend call the police and they said after the lease ends he have the rights to do this and verbal deal, copy of the check with recipe is NOTHING. This happens in state of Louisiana.
I wanna sue him but I don't have money to pay for a lawyer, Do you think he have the rights to make this, he never call me to iver ask to remove the things, after the lease I paid for 30 days and he give me just 6, that is not fair. Any infor helps

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Justin Chopin

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . Call the Pro Bono Project. They might be able to help you. Oral leases in Louisiana ARE VALID. In my opinion, once your formal, written lease ended you formed a new oral lease for 30 days. His removal of your property was an eviction and a violation of that lease. But, that is just my opinion.

    There are several local pro bono organizations that may be able to help you. But, do not delay! There are time requirements! That is to say, you only have so much time to sue your land lord.

    PLEASE NOTE: This "Answer" does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am NOT your attorney. Also, my law... more

Related Topics

Property rental agreement

A rental agreement is a contract outlining terms of tenancy for a certain period of time. Short-term rental agreements may renew automatically until cancelled.

Edwin Arnold Anderson

Can I Break My Lease Early?

This question comes up on Avvo a lot. I'm writing this guide for reference so that you might be able to find it. Remember, every situation is different. Don't merely rely on this guide--... more

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,718 answers this week

3,016 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,718 answers this week

3,016 attorneys answering