CAN LANDLORD HAVE THE RIGHTS

Asked over 1 year ago - New Orleans, LA

After my 1 year lease ends, I got a oral deal with my landlord to stay with the garage to storage my belongs for 30 days, I wrote a check for 30 days and he give me a recipe ( he cash the check). After 6 days my friends call me to advice that he put my things (ALL MY FURNITURE, DOCUMENTS, CLOUDS EVERYTHING) in trash. I was aut of state, My friend call the police and they said after the lease ends he have the rights to do this and verbal deal, copy of the check with recipe is NOTHING. This happens in state of Louisiana.
I wanna sue him but I don't have money to pay for a lawyer, Do you think he have the rights to make this, he never call me to iver ask to remove the things, after the lease I paid for 30 days and he give me just 6, that is not fair. Any infor helps edy161085@hotmail.com

1. Justin Chopin

Answered . Call the Pro Bono Project. They might be able to help you. Oral leases in Louisiana ARE VALID. In my opinion, once your formal, written lease ended you formed a new oral lease for 30 days. His removal of your property was an eviction and a violation of that lease. But, that is just my opinion.

There are several local pro bono organizations that may be able to help you. But, do not delay! There are time requirements! That is to say, you only have so much time to sue your land lord.