Can landlord evict with a personal 30 day written notice? Or by law, file through State of Maryland courts?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gaithersburg, MD

Original lease was for 6 months, then was month to month. I've been here 2 1/2 years. I am currently paid up on rent, and even through landlords 30 day eviction date. However, over the years I paid my rent late a lot of months. My landlord has been excellent working with me through some financial, and personal hardships so I understand her position in wanting the eviction. I'm seeking help through local department of social services to assist with housing for kids and I.The Social worker will only help with an actual court issued eviction notice. What is the Maryland law with eviction notices? Also, with past experiences, I remember the sheriff serving first document for the eviction .So do we have 30 days from that point to be moved out?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mark William Oakley

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The landlord cannot use "self help," meaning he must file for a judgment of possession from the court. After that, a "writ of possession" is issued and sent over to the Sheriff's department. Before executing the writ of possession (which will be the day the Sheriff arrives and orders you and your possessions out onto the street), the Sheriff will post a written notice on your door that the property is subject to "immediate eviction" or some similar statement. this is different from the mailed notice sent from the court or the landlord. It usually takes a month or more to get this notice following the court date granting possession to the landlord. These notices are posted by custom in Montgomery County at least 10 days before the scheduled eviction date. The Sheriff will NOT tell you when the actual eviction date will be, so you will be unable to get that information. The eviction process takes some time, including your being served with a civil complaint for eviction in District Court, the scheduling of a court date, etc., followed by the issuance of the writ of possession. Because your lease term is month-to-month, you cannot "redeem" the premises simply by paying all rent due. Hopefully you find suitable housing for yourself and your family. Good luck to you.

  2. Bennett James Wills


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . From what you have stated - it does not appear that your landlord is "evicting" you. Rather, if you are on a month-month lease, the landlord has the right to terminate the lease, just as you have the same right to leave with sufficient notice. Here, 30 days notice is sufficient to ask you to vacate, thus terminating the lease. If the landlord wanted to evict you - then they would have to go through the District Court.

    However, there are exceptions in Montgomery County and in Baltimore City that require more than 30 days notice if you live in certain single-family rentals.

    If you stay past the 30 days, then you will be considered "holding over" and then the landlord can seek help in the District Court to have the Sheriff assist in removing you from the home.

    This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and... more
  3. Brandy Ann Peeples


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . A landlord cannot evict you; only a court can issue an eviction order. All eviction proceedings must go through a court and be by court order.

    As a month to month tenant, you are known as a "tenant at will." This means that either you or the landlord can terminate a lease upon 30 days notice. Note, however, some counties require more notice...Montgomery County and Baltimore City require a landlord to give 60 days notice. Since it appears you are in Gaithersburg, you are in Montgomery County.

    In Montgomery County, Landlords of multi-family properties are required to give month-to-month tenants two months’ notice to vacate. Landlords of single-family rental properties are required to give month-to-month tenants a one-month notice to vacate. If you are not in a single-family rental property, your landlord's notice of 30 days would be insufficient.

    For more information, the Montgomery County Landlord/Tenant Handbook can be found at the link below:

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,091 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,091 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering