Skip to main content

Can landlord do inspections monthly? what can I do to protect my family from them coming in when I'm not home and pets?

Flint, MI |

renting this house for 3 years, 1st 2 w/option to buy $115,9 now on 2yr rent agreement w/1more yr. they just listed home w/realestate for $49,9 thats when wife that not on contract says she is landlords agent and sent letter to come every 20th of month at 2pm. she is rude and nasty w/clipboard demand receipt & empty box of ridex and rent and $25 per day if late. I lost job 1yr ago & UE cut 1/2 April so we have been 2-3days late a couple of months only. I have 3 children in home and our pets. She puts on bill ea. month they can enter 1st-5th everymonth at their discrep whether I'm available this is in addition to 20th of every month. I feel that I'm being harassed! love home children in school, I may buy home when receive pension 1st of yr but dont feel comfort in home now

Attorney Answers 3


Wife or landlord cannot enter your home whenever they want. When you rent a home, for that period of time, it is as if it is your home. The landlord and it's agents cannot enter your home without your consent. Try to be on time with your rent, 2-3 days late is not unreasonable but the Landlord is entitled to ontime rent which you agree to pay at a certain day every month.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You might this information helpful:

What is "reasonable notice" before entering?

You should set standards for your landlord to follow. Write your landlord a letter making clear your expectations. You might demand one to three days written or verbal advance notice for permission to enter. The landlord's request should state who is entering, at what time, and for what reason. You have the right to be present whenever someone enters and the right to refuse entry.

If it is not an emergency, and your landlord enters without permission or notice, she or he is trespassing. Potential remedies include calling the police at the time the illegal entry occurs and withholding rent the next time it is due. Write a letter explaining that you are withholding rent until the landlord stops entering without permission and agrees to set terms for entering. Keep a copy of this letter. Put your rent money into a savings account until you are able to work out a reasonable agreement and you feel sure your landlord will not violate your privacy. Then negotiate your compensation for the privacy invasions.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I would look closely at any lease that was signed. The terms of the lease could provide for random inspection at reasonable hours. It might also provide for the showing of the home if listed for sale. I would encourage you to consult with a real estate attorney in the Flint area legal community. If you do not know any real estate attorneys, you could contact the Genessee County Bar Association which could make a referral to such an attorney.

Neil M. Colman

Mr. Colman is licensed to practice law in Michigan. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Colman strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Mark as helpful

Landlord-tenant topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics